How to Get Rid of Ghost Ants in Florida
If you are like many other Floridians, you’ve probably noticed that your home is being invaded by these small pests. You may have even seen them crawling around on the floor or under furniture. If this is happening to you, then read on because we are going to share with you some valuable information about ghost ants in Florida and how to get rid of them!
What do ghost ants look like?
Ghost ants are very small, only measuring between one and a half to about three millimeters in length. They have light brown bodies as well as darker abdomens, making them look like they’re carrying around their own shadows!
How do I identify a ghost ant infestation?
If you want to identify ghost ant infestations more easily, it helps if you can notice the following:
- They often trail long lines of ants from the nest to food sources
- The nests are very small and difficult to see
- They like to forage in areas that are close to moisture, such as kitchens and bathrooms
- Ghost ants are commonly found in the southern United States
Where are ghost ants found?
Ghost ants prefer to build their nests outdoors in moist, shady areas. However, if conditions indoors are more favorable, they may establish a nest inside your home. Common nesting sites for ghost ants include:
- In wall voids and insulation
- Under flooring and subfloors
- Inside furniture
- Between window or door frames, baseboards and crown molding
- In electrical appliances such as microwaves, toasters ovens, desktop computers and televisions.
Why do I have ghost ants in my home?
Ghost ants are attracted to the food and water that we provide in our homes. They are also looking for a place to build their nests, which is why they often establish colonies inside.
There are several ways you can help reduce the chances of ghost ants infesting your home:
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage in a timely manner.
- Fix any leaks in your plumbing and seal up any cracks or openings in your home's foundation.
- Keep vegetation away from the exterior of your house, as ghost ants like to nest in trees and shrubs.
- If you see an ant inside your home, try to determine where it is coming from and treat that area with a pest control solution.
Are ghost ants harmful to humans?
No, ghost ants are not harmful to humans. It is possible for them to sting if you accidentally step on one or mess with their nest, but they are not aggressive towards people and will only attack when provoked.
How do you get rid of ghost ants?
There are a few different ways to get rid of ghost ants. You can use an over-the-counter ant killer, like Raid, or you can call a professional exterminator. If you want to try to get rid of them yourself, the first step is finding their nest. Ghost ants are most commonly found in moist environments, so look around the exterior of your house, like in piles of wood or mulch. You can also use sticky traps to catch them and bring them outside, where they will die from exposure.
If you having trouble getting rid of the pests, we encourage you to contact our experienced team of ant exterminators at Deans Services in Central Florida.
Does boric acid get rid of ghost ants?
Boric acid is not the best option for ghost ants. While it will get rid of them, there are many things you have to consider. First off, if your house has been infested by these pests before, boric acid can actually attract more insects because they love sugar so much! Furthermore, boric acid doesn’t kill the entire infestation and can lead to a continued issue.